2/11/14

Ernest Dove - How competition and youth will lead Mets to the promised land.

This has been and interesting (and dull) off season, to say the least. Lot's of speculation. Lot's of expectation. Lot's of questionable signings, and lot's of continued waiting on trades. The one piece of information I still have in my brain is the one about management allowing for some all out competition this year, at multiple positions. Hopefully, long gone are the days of the Mets signing, and trading for big 'name' free agents, mostly in advanced age, who are guaranteed their spot, and guaranteed the chance to play, no matter how poorly, and watch there millions battle with the nothing but the Mendoza line, and the 5.00 ERA. Maybe ownership is cheap, but at the same time, maybe management is on to something. Let the one year contract veterans battle it out and fight for their spots with the 'controlled' youth/prospects in this organization. We've tried the other route, and hasn't gone too well the past 10 years. 

 I'm ready for some competition. I'm ready for Mets staff to be true to their word on this. I'm ready for Ike Davis, Lucas Duda, Ruben Tejada, Wilmer Flores, Juan Lagares, Matt Den Dekker, and everyone else on this roster to fight for their spot, and earn their spot on this team.  
Obviously, its never easy to predict and project what a young player will do in this league. However, its also true that you can never guarantee that a veteran, from some other team, who's best season just happened during his 'contract' year, will continue to produce. This is why I am ok with the idea of mixing in a little of everything. For me, the main focus will be on internal development and homegrown talent. I'd rather see the next $100 mil contract go to a player who has been in the Mets minor league system. It's always tough to lose talent. But if you have 7+ starting pitchers on your 25 man roster, then I can live with the hope of trading some of them to fill other needs, and that the holes will be filled to benefit the Mets, even if it also benefits the other team. 

 Of course, its easy for me to say I'm happy with competition, because I'm not the one out there, fighting to keep my job, earn a good living, and provide for my family. But so goes the true nature of professional sports, along with employment in general. I'm ready for youth to be served. I'm ready for all the new names, like d'Arnoud, Flores, Puello, Syndergaard and Montero to force their way into full time positions. I'm also ready for guys like Tejada, Chris Young, EY Jr. and even Bartolo Colon to prove they still have what it takes to be productive in this league, even if that involves outplaying, and stealing innings/at bats away from the likes of a Lagares, Mejia, Montero, or whoever. 

 When you look at some of the top organizations in this league,specificaly the St. Louis Cardinals, you will notice that they stay competitive. Even when one of the greatest hitters to possibly ever play this game (Pujols) signs elsewhere, they still can manage an above .500 season, and compete for the playoffs. That is where the Mets would like to be. And I think they can get there through youth, and competition. This process may lead to more David Wright Mets careers, (in which case I can more safely spend my hard earned money on a jersey of a guy who might be on the team for 5+ more years after I buy it). 

 I want to live in a (Mets) world in which players like d'Arnoud, Harvey, Wheeler and Syndergaard can wear a Mets uniform for the next 10 years. While, at the same time, continue to sprinkle in some Montero signings, trades that bring in a Wheeler/Syndergaard type player, and continue to include some 1-2 year Marlon Byrd type players, who keep the competition fierce and strong. There will remain to be players who don't pan out. Along with those who don't meet expectations; trades that go wrong, and homegrown talent who age poorly in their production. But, in the end, the loyalty, support and development of talent and its youth will pay off with a happy fan base.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

If only Terry wouldn't just give the position to the "veterans"

greg b said...

Great article. As a mets fan this spring is the most excited ive been in yrs. With all the young kids in camp a in the minors who might get called up this yr it reminds me of 1984 when the mets finally turned it around.

Reese Kaplan said...

Amen to that! I've been preaching the Terry Collins won't play rookies theme for a long time and others are finally catching on...

To be fair, he WILL play rookies but only when all other options have been exhausted by incompetence or injury, then he'll put them in a position to fail such as batting them 8th with no protection.