4/22/15

April 22nd 2015 -- Mets 3, Braves 2

Lucas Duda stroked an opposite field RBI single scoring Curtis Granderson with the go ahead run. The Mets win their 10th straight with a 3-2 win over the Braves.

The Braves jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the 2nd inning when Andrelton Simmons RBI single brought home A.J. Pierzynski.  In the bottom of the frame Wilmer Flores punched an RBI single scoring Eric Campbell to tie it at 1.  In the top of the 5th former Met Eric Young Jr. hit a one out triple to right center. He was plated on a sac-fly by Alberto Callaspo. Flores again pulled the Mets even in the 7th when he connected for a one out solo homer off Cody Martin, for Flores # 3 on the year.

 Dillon Gee started and went 7 strong innings allowing 8 hits 2 runs (both earned) walking 1 and striking out 3. Erik Stults held the Mets down while he was on the rubber going 6 innings allowing 4 hits 1 run (earned) and striking out 5. Sean Gilmartin and Buddy Carlyle navigated a scoreless 8th inning for the Mets.

 In the bottom of the 8th after yet another walk by pinch hitter Granderson, Juan Lagares hit a slow hit and run single to right field to give the Mets first and third with no out.  That’s when Duda came through with an opposite field RBI single to give the Mets the 3-2 lead.  Jeurrys Familia pitched the 9th for his 7th save in 7 opportunities.

 Duda and Flores had 2 hits apiece in the win. Lagares has now hit in 9 straight and made an amazing full speed glove outstretched catch in the 7th off a drive by Jace Peterson.  Buddy Carlyle gets the win he’s now 1-0. Jim Johnson takes the loss falling to 1-1.

The Mets improve to 12-3 on the year, matching their best start ever with the 1986 Mets. They are a perfect 9-0 at Citi Field on the year. Thursday afternoon it’s the final game of the series. Bartolo Colon (3-0 2.25) goes for the Mets 3rd straight series sweep for the Mets, Julio Teheran (2-0 3.71) goes for Atlanta. 

7 comments:

Tom Brennan said...

Let's get it to 11 straight tomorrow. Duda, Flores, and Lagares...3 guys getting very little love coming into 2013...stepped up big tonite.

Anonymous said...

I was always a Lagares fan.
I didn't like Davis but I wanted him over Duda. How wrong was that? Now Duda is near the top of my list.
Was luke warm on Flores and I still am. I'm hoping he makes my baseball judgement look as bad as Duda did.

Sometimes it's great to be wrong.

Stephen Guilbert said...

I'm happy to say that I can confidently say I was right about both Lagares and Duda.

Let's hope my streak continues with Montero, my third installment of "guys who are really good who have to prove themselves more than they should have to because they didn't have the pedigree of their competition but are way better" series.

Mack Ade said...

I'm happy to say that I can confidently say I was right about Guilbert and Brennan

Tom Brennan said...

Great catch by Juan "vacuum cleaner" Lagares. What ele is new?

Mack, speaking for myself, I am like a broken clock, except that clock is right twice a day, and I'm still trying to do as well as the clock.

Good call, Stephen, on Lagares and Duda. I am with you on Montero.

Anonymous said...

I missed it, Stephen. What have you been saying about Juan's offense? To me, I think the jury is still out on that, and therefore it's unclear where Juan will land on the list of top centerfielders.

I'm a fan, and I believe that he can be bad on offense and still be valuable, but I'm just not clear about in what way you've been "right" about Lagares. Is he a .675 OPS CF and a .750 one? To me, I've always seen him as the Mets #8 hitter.

James Preller

Mack Ade said...

Lagares' hitting has improved over the years but he's never going to become a consistent .275+ hitter if he doesn't stop swinging at anything.

He creates the 2 strike counts that pitchers can then control his at bat

I also was a little concerned last night with his two throws to home which seemed human.

And then the catch...

As I have said early, it's too early to evaluate anyone at this point.

If this guy can give us the best defense in centerfield, in the league, what would be the BA and OBP we would be happy with?