9/16/17

Tom Brennan - MY PROSPECT # 2 - ANDRES GIMINEZ



Lots of writers who write articles on prospects like work down from wherever they start all the way to # 1. I'm dyslexic, so I started at # 1 and am working my way down.  My # 1 prospect, in my prior article? PRODIGIOUSLY POUNDING PETE ALONSO.

Today's # 2? ANDRES GIMINEZ.

Andy G turned 19 in early September, so first of all, happy birthday, and secondly, he played all of his 2017 season in Full A ball as an 18 year old, which is extraordinary.  And most of the season, he hit in the .280s before he swooned late to finish at .265 and on the disabled list.

Assuming he does not have spinal stenosis, or another of the Mets' favorite maladies, he should be fine and on to St Lucie next season, on his way perhaps to being a major league starting infielder in mid 202

The lefty bat of the 5'11", 176 Giminez only fanned 61 times in 92 games and he added 17 extra base hits, not a lot but I bet we see a real uptick next year.

Speed?  8 triple and 27 steals in 154 career games tell me he ain't slow, Bro.

And defensively?  Just 12 errors in 90 games at SS in 2017 at age 18?  Superb for that age.

Time will tell, but I we Andy G as a future star in the majors, a very nice international bonus signing.  Spending money can result in great results.  This looks like one of them.

4 comments:

Natale DiDonato said...

Tom I can't find your Alonso post. Went back to 9/6. Can you post a link?

Tom Brennan said...

Natale, I think there was a little scheduling mix up. Not sure how that happened. My article on Pete was to be the first, and was not due out until next weekend, but I moved it up just now to 8:00 tomorrow, so please keep an eye out for it...and thanks for visiting Macks Mets.

After the PETE article, I will resume my prospect articles several days later, so hope you look in on them and comment if you like.

PETE, by the way, looks to me like their Harmon Killebrew...and that ain't shabby.

Natale DiDonato said...

Thanks. I look forward to these reviews and I just noticed the Alonso article. Looking forward to an Italian American top of the lineup. Rosario, Cecchini,, Nimo, Conforto, Alonso. We'll 4 of 5 anyway.

Tom Brennan said...

Natale, thanks, and any last name that ends in a vowel is OK with me. My real name is Brennanini, after all - LOL.

I'd watch those 5 with a bowl of linguini, a serving of calamari, and some spumoni and tortoni any day.

In a few years, Mark Vientos, too - his name ends in a vowel two - just pluralized!